Tuesday, January 31, 2012

If - Then

by Mollie


The promises in the Bible are good. Like really good.  God promises all sorts of good things that would seem PERFECT in our lives RIGHT NOW.  So often I forget the first part of those verses: the "if"

Isaiah 58:9-11 says.
  "you will call, and the LORD will answer;
   you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
   IF you do away with the yoke of oppression,
   with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,

then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. 

The LORD will guide you always;  he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. 

You will be like a well-watered garden,  like a spring whose waters never fail."

 My friend, Holly, brought this verse to my attention and I really like the last part. "a well-watered garden"  Peaceful, lush, serene... are you picturing it with me?!?




Its the "IF" in those verses that are gonna get me. 

  The Message puts it like this:

  What I'm interested in seeing you do is: 

   sharing your food with the hungry, 
   inviting the homeless poor into your homes, 
   putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, 
   being available to your own families.

Do this and the lights will turn on, 
   and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way. 
   The God of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, God will answer. 
   You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'

God is good and He continually blesses us more than we could ever expect, but some of those promises have an "if"  

Things I should already be doing...  

I hope you and your family have a fantastic week!

Blessings,
  






No comments:

Post a Comment